Thursday, March 15, 2012

Failed Synaptics Touch pad in HP EliteBook 8460P

Thought of blogging this experience strikes me after helping three geeks facing same issue of Touchpad failing in their brand new HP models.

This is the classic example of digital annoyance I faced in recent times with the touchpad of new HP Elitebook 8460P model failed to respond with a minute LED glowing on it.

Quickly checked the device driver and there were no visible errors as such. Restarted system couple of times which is a last resort of most of the users for all kind of PC problems. The moment windows OS got loaded, the light glows back on the touchpad mocking my technical aptitude. The next step I took was to upgrade the driver to 15.3.25 by uninstalling the older version. This too made no difference and the light was still glowing ridiculing my finger movement with no response over the screen.

Borrowed neighbor's mouse to check if that works and at least my expectations were meeting with that. Searched all over the net with different search engines and in lot many forums but none of the solutions worked for me. Four hours passed and I was still struck with no answer. Frustrated, I wanted to try one last time before I call upon IT desk and then I found the treasure. It was there on quick launch tool bar glittering!

Whosoever struck in similar problem, just follow below steps to get nirvana from Touchpad problem.

1. Uninstall the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad driver from Device Manager.
2. Install the latest version in my case it was 15.3.25.
3. Restart the system
4. Identify the Synaptics Pointing Device Icon from Quick Launch toolbar
5. Click on icon to open the Mouse properties dialogue box
6. Click on Device Settings tab
7. Enable all the devices listed out there and apply settings
8. There you see! Lights off! Freaking light..

Remember a zen's saying on "what after nirvana?" Same thing here. I still use Touchpad...

1 comment:

  1. Hate to break it to you.... But the 'light' is to show you that the track pad is disabled (as you found out). Its a 'feature' for when you're typing. You can enable/disable the trackpad by double tapping in the top corner. Basically double tap the area where the light is in the trackpad to enable or disable the trackpad.

    A light showing, means its disabled.

    ReplyDelete